Cleaning Tips to Keep Your Home Non-Toxic
“150 chemicals found in the home are connected to allergies, birth defects, cancer and psychological disorders.”
[Source: Consumer Protection Agency (CPA)]
With statistics like that it becomes an inevitable truth that household chemicals need to become a mistake in the past. Instead, people should be using eco-friendly cleaners that use natural ingredients. But even then a lot of manufacturers claiming their products are “green” are just as harmful with only a small fraction of the ingredients being natural and safe compounds.
In a study done by the American Chemical Society, scientists tested the source of ingredients in more than a dozen liquid laundry detergents, hand soaps and dish soaps that advertised claims such as “natural” and “eco-friendly. Of those products, the plant-based ingredient content in the hand soaps ranged anywhere from 28 to 97 percent; laundry detergent ranged between 28 and 94 percent; and dishwashing liquids from 43 to 95 percent.
We’re not stating that all “Green” companies, including our own company, use dangerous compounds in their products. What we are saying is that people need to do make sure to read the ingredients before using a product.
For more information about our CERTIFIED GREEN cleaning process CLICK HERE
However, a great solution for replacing these harmful products is to simply make your own! One thing we pride ourselves on is that we never underestimate the cleaning power of mother nature and with these simple cleaning recipes below you can utilize it’s power too! These cleaning recipes are not only cost effective but they will truly help make your home cleaner and healthier with NO-HARSH CHEMICALS.
NOTE: These cleaning recipes are great for around the house cleaning but we and the FDA still recommend professional deep cleanings for carpet and furniture every 6 months with an experienced and green certified cleaner such as ourselves. CLICK HERE to schedule an appointment today!
The Top Natural Cleaning Ingredients to ALWAYS have around the home:
• White vinegar—This simple solution is 5 percent acetic acid, which kills numerous strains of bacteria, including E. coli. It’s also effective in killing mold and other fungi.
• Baking soda— Obvious choice but very effective. Great for jobs that require whitening, such as bathroom tiles.
• Lemon juice—A natural degreaser with antimicrobial properties. Bottle of Lemon Juice = $0.99 and gets the job done as well as most antimicrobial cleaners. Pair this with thyme essential oil, white vinegar, salt and baking soda for a cleaning recipe so powerful you can use to it clean the inside of your stove!
• Castile soap—A plant-based, petroleum-free soap found in most natural food stores and online.
• Washing soda— This product is the simple cleaning name for Sodium Carbonate. You can usually find it in the laundry aisle of your supermarket.
• Borax—Use as a shampoo or laundry cleaning booster. 20 Mule Team is a popular brand.
• Essential oils—Oils like basil, rosemary, thyme, sweet orange, and tea tree add an even deeper germ-fighting kick while providing a pleasant, natural smell. A small bottle of these essential oils costs just a few dollars and it lasts a very long time.
5 EASY GREEN CLEANING RECIPES
Simple All-Purpose Cleaner
Mix equal amounts of water and white vinegar, a few squirts of castile soap, and about 20 drops of basil oil in a 16-ounce spray bottle. “This formula is great for surfaces in the kitchen and bath, spills on tile flooring, and even for minor carpet stains. We suggest buying bulk of these ingredients and replacing all harsh cleaning supplies around the house with a water bottle of this awesome stuff.
Super-Easy Automatic Dishwasher Powder
- 2 cups washing soda
- 1 cup borax
- 1 cup baking soda
Combine all ingredients and store in a plastic container. To use, add about 2 tablespoons to the soap compartment of your dishwasher. If you find your glasses are getting a residue buildup, reduce to 1½ tablespoons.
Minty-Fresh Fabric Softener
- 1 gallon vinegar
- 10 drops peppermint essential oil
Combine the ingredients in a glass or heavy-duty plastic container. Add 1 cup to the rinse cycle for each load.
Tough Dirt & Grease Formula
- 1 gallon hot water
- 2 Tablespoons liquid castile soap
- ¼ cup washing soda
- 1 cup vinegar
- 20 drops eucalyptus, peppermint, or tea tree essential oil
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 5 drops peppermint essential oil
Pour all ingredients into a 24 oz. spray bottle and shake it up. The recipe is ideally used with the microfiber cloth.
And there you have it! For the most mother nature has provided us billions of years of cleaning technology so the need for heavy cleaners is no longer necessary. It just takes a little education and some natural ingredients and before long you will have eliminated all harsh cleaning chemicals and will be well on your way to a healthier home for yourself, your family and your pets!
Don’t forget to call us for your routine deep cleaning for carpet, upholstery, rugs and more! (951) 247-1257
Clean & Protect (Up to $200 in savings.)50% off protectant with any deep cleaningCoupon Code, Prot3ctExpires: not valid with other coupons. HCE Cleaning Method.Century Chem-Dry